Thursday, May 20, 2010

36 weeks and 5 days


This picture was taken on Saturday when I turned 36 weeks.


Today we had our follow up appointment in Madison. I went into today with anticipation of being given a new date of when my c-section would be. When we arrived at our appointment I went from one emotion to the next.

Tom and I sat down in the room and the nurse had said that the Doctor was wanting to do an Amniocentesis today. I had never heard of this so she explained it to us and then gave us literature explaining the entire procedure as well. She left the room to give us time to read the material and decide if we would like to go ahead with the procedure. (To briefly explain what it is - they insert a needle into my belly while being monitored by an ultrasound as to not poke the baby and withdraw about 2 Tbs of amniotic fluid. The fluid is then tested to see if the baby's lungs are fully developed.) The results only take 4-6 hours and if the lungs were developed they were wanting to schedule my c-section for tomorrow morning at 10:30am.

Emotion: Scared. Both Tom and I were rather nervous about the procedure especially after reading the risk involved (which are extremely low - less than 1% - but still risk). However, after thinking and talking it over we decided to go ahead with the procedure after feeling that the risk involved with this procedure are much lower than the risk involved if I were to start bleeding again.

Emotion: Unprepared. TOMORROW! A baby tomorrow - need I say more.

We then go into the ultrasound room where the tech first looks at the baby to make sure everything is still looking good (as in the baby and the amount of amniotic fluid). In the beginning the baby's head was down so she was not able to see the complete placenta previa. The highlight of the ultrasound was seeing the baby's face - his/her cheeks are huge!!! All three (Tom, myself and the tech) of us had a pretty good laugh. After she was done seeing everything she needed to look at she checked one more time to look at the complete placenta previa. She was able to but mentioned that it actually looked marginal/partial. She then left to get the doctor to go on with the Amniocentesis procedure.

Emotion: Seriously? Did my placenta really move? I just had an ultrasound 13 days ago and it was complete placenta previa. I have not mentally prepared myself for labor...what is going on?

The doctor comes into the room and proceeds to put her cover-up/gown on. She asked the tech to show her the placenta previa one more time. After seeing it she then takes off her mask, steps back and has a puzzled look on her face. She begins saying that it is so close to being considered marginal placenta previa. Then they opt to do a vaginal ultrasound to get a better reading. Once again she said it is right on the border of no longer being complete placenta previa and actually calls it marginal placenta previa. She then ask us if we would still like to go on with the procedure and take the baby if he/she is ready or come back next week and do another ultrasound.

Emotion: Confused. How is this possible? The chances of my placenta actually moving this late in the pregnancy are so low. Did this seriously just happen to me? I of all people believe in miracles and that my God is HUGE and can do ALL things - but I seriously just was not expecting this.

I then looked at Tom and asked him what he wanted to do. He then said, "You're the doctor what do you think." (I just thought this was really cute.) The doctor then decided to cancel the procedure and have be back next week.

Emotion: ARGH! ANOTHER WEEK!

I asked the doctor (just to make sure) if I was still on bed rest and she said "yes - exactly what you are doing now." I guess she also said (I say guess because I did not hear it but Tom heard her - that is why it's good to always bring someone with you to the doctor) that now my risk of bleeding is reduced; still a risk though.

My next appointment is a week from today at which point they will re-look at the placenta and if it's still marginal then schedule a c-section. I will not have to do the Amniocentesis procedure because at that point I will be 38 weeks.

Emotion: Who knows. Part of me is glad to hear we did not have to poke my belly with a needle. Part of me is bummed for another week of bed rest. Part of me is glad to hear the baby is doing great. Part of me knows the baby is fine and would rather just do the c-section now. Part of me knows that another week is best for the baby - the longer in the oven the better. I could keep this list going but will spare you from all my random thoughts :)

THANK YOU everyone for all of your prayers through this roller coaster ride.

3 comments:

  1. We do serve a big amazing God, that's for sure...I'm very confident that you received a beautiful miracle in another week to relax and rest and prepare to bt the mom of 2! Love yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! Still praying...love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! I love how God keeps us on our toes like that :) Praying for you and love you like crazy cakes!

    ReplyDelete