Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sawyer's Break

The first night of camping Sawyer and Daddy took their bikes to empty our garbage. While they were on their way Tom practiced with Sawyer using his brakes; there were some hills on the way. Sawyer did really well on the first hill braking and stopping when Tom told him to. Then there was the second hill. Tom told Sawyer kept telling Sawyer to brake but he didn't. At the bottom of the hill there was a curve; Tom reached out to grab him but just missed and Sawyer went right into the culvert.

In the meantime I was in the camper beginning to zip up our windows because it started to get a little chilly. While I was in the camper I heard a child screaming and even stop to listen due to the scream sounding just like Sawyer. When I heard it again I knew it was him and just figured that Sawyer was throwing one of his tantrums or who knows what. I then looked out the window and saw Tom carrying Sawyer; there were no bikes, Sawyer missing a shoe, Sawyer still screaming and Tom walking very fast.

I ran out of the camper as Tom came into our campsite and laid Sawyer on the picnic table. At first glance he looked fine to me but Tom was so shaken up that I knew something bad must have happened. Tom asked me to clean him up while he went and got the bikes. While he was gone Sawyer would not let me clean his wounds, look at them or put a band aid on them. He was just very concerned with where his bike and shoe was. I then decided that the wounds could wait so I picked him up, sat down in the chair and laid his head on my chest while I held an iced water bottle to the goose-egg on his head.

Tom was really nervous about him due to when they got out of the culvert Sawyer's foot was pointed inward and he wouldn't stand. After all said and done though he just ended up with a scratch by his eye, under his arm, one on his rib, both knees scraped up and the biggest wound on his hip. (In the picture you will see a scratch on his arm is actually a wound from before.)

After going back to where it all happened Tom named the curve "Sawyer's Break". There was a positive through all of this though; Sawyer nows wears his helmet!









No comments:

Post a Comment