Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Placenta Previa

Today we had our 28 week check-up for the baby. These appointments are usually pretty routine (weighing, blood pressure, measuring the belly and then listening to the heartbeat) but today was obviously different. I first had to drink that special "orange soda" to see if I am diabetic.

I will start with all the good news! The baby's heartbeat was at 150 today. I my belly is still measuring two weeks ahead (so today was measured at 30). I have been feeling pretty good besides the normal little aches here and there, but I can deal with those knowing that they will be gone in three months. She read the report from my ultrasound and my amniotic fluid level is normal.

Now for the rest of the news. I definitely have placenta previa. There are three different types of placenta previa you can have (low-lying, partial and total). I have the total placenta previa - which is the worst you can have. What this means is that the placenta is completely covering the cervix. With this being the case I will have to have a c-section. The baby is also breached. She said that this makes sense because of my placenta being on the bottom of the uterus that is also where the umbilical cord is therefore causing the baby not being able to move his/her head down because the cord is in the way.

With me being at 28 weeks the doctor has not given me to many restrictions but said that more will be coming at 32 weeks. We will be having another ultrasound at 32 weeks just to see how everything is going. I asked her what my chances of the placenta still moving out of the way and she said that it wasn't likely at all since it was still the total placenta previa.

As far as the risk factors for me right now they are pretty low. Unless, I begin to bleed or go into pre-term labor. If this would happen - well let's just pray that it doesn't.

Monday and Tuesday were pretty rough emotionally for me. Monday it was hard finding out the news and then being by myself most of the day to dwell on it. Yesterday I did go to work which helped but I had a meeting in the morning which I was sitting there and often times had to fight back the emotions to hold myself together. Then in the afternoon I was really busy at work so I was fine then, but then the evening got a little tough again. As far as emotions right now I have become okay with the whole thing and am getting used to the fact of having a c-section (yeah no 61 hours of labor for me...right?!!! just trying to look on the bright side). What you can still be praying for though is that I do not begin to bleed or go into labor. I try not to think about that but it's still always in the back of my mind.

So now that we got all the bad news out of the way - let's all look at this precious miracle God has blessed me and my family with!!!

4 comments:

  1. Love you honey and I'll be praying hard for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there - you know our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you - let me know if you need anything - I'm on spring break next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy if you have any questions about c sections let me know. I had an emergency one done with Hayley - they can be scary but it is very nice not to have to deal with the pain during labor - Lanell Becker

    ReplyDelete